Within the framework of the project, an education day was organized to learn about different visions on educational aspects related to forest fires. During this day an international session defined as “EDUCATION AND TRAINING NEEDS TO FIGHT FOREST FIRES” took place, with the participation of more than 100 people from different countries such as Spain, Argentina, USA, Mexico, Brazil, Panama, Paraguay, Chile, Portugal, United Kingdom, Italy, Republic of Congo, Greece, Lithuania, South Africa, Russia and Australia (see details of participants below).
In this session, fire specialists with links to education issues gave an overview of the activities related to training and education in their countries. In addition to learning about the particular views of each of the wildland fire experts, this session served to lay the groundwork for a collaboration with the aim of bringing this knowledge together in a potential publication.
The practical workshop, in which more than 100 people from Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Mexico, Chile and Venezuela participated, experiences were exchanged through short presentations (more than 50% given by students), practical workshops were given by part of specialists, both in the classroom and in the field (audiovisual techniques, gamification, educational strategies and service-learning) and round tables for discussion between different actors were organized. At the same time, attendees attended artistic and scientific exhibitions related to the theme.
See here for the detailed programme:
- Gavriil Xanthopoulos, DEMETER (Greece)
- Niki Evelpidou, University of Athens (Greece)
- Giacomo Pacini, EdicItaly Regione Toscana (Italy)
- Giovanni Mastrolonardo, University of Florence (Italy)
- Rosario Alves, Forestis (Portugal)
- Jacob Keizer, University of Aveiro (Portugal)
- Miriam Muñoz-Rojas, University of New South Wales, UNSW (Australia)
- Edivaldo Lopes Thomaz, Universidade Estadual Centro-Oeste – UNICENTRO (Brazil)
- Gustavo Saiz, Universidad Católica de la Santísima Concepción (Chile)
- Paulo Pereira, Mykolas Romeris University (Lithuania)
- Felipe García-Oliva, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, UNAM (Mexico)
- Elena Kukavskaya, V.N. Sukachev Institute of Forest (Russia)
- Tercia Strydom, SANParks (South Africa)
- José J. Villalba, Universidad Nacional de Caaguazú (Paraguay)
- Stefan Doerr, Swansea University (United Kingdom)
- Sarah Lewis-Scholes, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USA)
- Adolfo Santos, Instituto de Investigación Agropecuaria de Panamá (INIAP) (Panamá)
- Lydie-Stella Koutika, Centre de Recherche sur la Durabilité et la Productivité des Plantations Industrielles (Congo, Republic)